WingFest at WingHAÜS by Bavarian
Much loved wing slinger WingHAÜS by Bavarian has done its culinary homework and created 13 new limited-edition house-made sauces and rubs to add to its menu for WingFest.
The three-month-long WingFest runs from Tuesday December 1 to Sunday February 28 at its wing-packed, sauce-smacked, sports-bar dining destination on Edward Street. That’s three pleasure-filled months to try the new flavours that join nine signature sauces already on the menu.
Spoiler alert: they’re all deliciously addictive, and range from flavour-packed, to mildly hot, and turbocharged on the WingHAÜS heat index.
Diners pick a sauce or rub to dunk their classic, boneless, or cauliflower wings into. There is one complimentary sauce or rub for every ten-piece serve of wings. Additional sauces and rubs cost $3 each. The WingFest line-up includes:
- Salt & Vinegar – consider this your quintessential salt and vinegar chicks
- Lemon Pepper – a zesty dry rub with a peppery kick
- Nacho Cheese – nacho average fried chicken wing rub, that’s for sure
- Garlic & Parmesan – brings an Italian riff to the American chicken wing
- Chicken Salt – as Australian as Vegemite, this rub serves up a tasty bout of nostalgia
- Sweet & Sour – a much-loved Cantonese classic sauce, famed for its balance of opposing flavours
- Honey BBQ – universally loved, the sweet-hot combo promises to be a crowdpleaser
- Honey Mustard – combines Dijon and American mustards with other finger lickin’ ingredients
On the WingHAÜS heat index the next two sauces are accompanied by a single flame symbol, which means they have a mild spice kick:
- Mango Habanero – spicy and not too sweet with mellow tropical notes
- Thai Red – Asian-American fusion at its absolute best
Two flames indicates that a sauce is hot, but not excessively so:
- Caribbean Jerk – gets its kick from a blend of ten spices, herbs and a hit of dark rum
From merely hot to incendiary, the last two flavours are scorched with three flames:
- Nashville – a regional hot rub of cayenne, chipotle, paprika, other spices and brown sugar
- Vindaloo – an Indian-inspired intensely spicy combination of a seven-spice mix and pungent chilli paste, with acidic and vinegar-tinged notes
The 13 new additions join nine signature sauces already on the menu: teriyaki, Jack Daniel’s BBQ, Texas BBQ, traditional, Korean, habanero, chipotle, afterburner, and face-melting. Classic, boneless and cauliflower wings come in ten-piece ($12), 20-piece ($22), 50-piece ($49) and 100-piece ($94) serves. They’re best enjoyed with one of 40 beers on tap, cocktails on tap and margaritas served frozen and on the rocks, and as a frozen, 1-litre, shareable Stein Rita.