Patricia Piccinini Up Late
An eclectic line-up of musicians including Zola Jesus (USA), Lydia Lunch Retrovirus (USA) and Xylouris White (Melbourne) will take to the stage for the Patricia Piccinini Up Late program at the Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA) from 8 June to 6 July 2018.
Across five Friday evenings, the Up Late experience combines the exclusive-to-GOMA exhibition ‘Patricia Piccinini: Curious Affection’, with DJs, bands, bars, and floor talks on the emotive nature of artworks featured.
Doors open from 5.30pm and guests can mingle as DJs perform in the Gallery’s River Room ahead of the headline acts taking the stage from 8.30pm.
On Friday 8 June – for one night only, DJ Slymewave (Joanna Syme of Melbourne duo Big Scary) will swap her drumsticks for decks, and perform a special guest DJ set to launch the series. For the remainder of the season Brisbane-based musician Grace Stevenson (Rebel Yell) will kick-start each Up Late evening as resident DJ.
Headline performers take to the River Room stage on the following dates:
- June 8: Singer-songwriter Amaya Laucirica (Melbourne) will launch the Piccinini Up Late series with her genre-defying sound and wistful melodies. Xylouris White (Melbourne), a musical collaboration between Greek singer and laouto player George Xylouris and Australian drummer Jim White of Dirty Three will then perform.
- 15 June: Poet, actress and vocalist Lydia Lunch returns to Australia with her all-star group Lydia Lunch Retrovirus (USA), to reveal an uncompromising survey of her vast musical output from 1977 to the present.
- 22 June: Zola Jesus (USA) will deliver her classical, electronic, goth and experimental rock. Rapper Miss Blanks (Brisbane) – quickly establishing herself as one of the most important new voices in Australian hip hop – will then perform.
- 29 June: Piccinini Up Late will showcase a double bill with a punk twist, featuring eclectic punk band Cable Ties (Melbourne), alongside the day-glo punk fun of duo The Gooch Palms (Newcastle), with their gritty guitars and colourful costumes.
- 6 July: A special final act will close the series – to be announced soon.